Friday, July 23, 2010

Post: Thursday, July 22


It's one hour into my flight to London, where I connect to my next flight to Chennai, India. We got off to a late start in Toronto due to "a minor mechanical problem which has been fixed". Thanks, British Airways captain, for the reassuring tone. Love from, Nervous Flyer.


Actually, the flight's been really comfortable, all thank to my next door neighbour.


Rob and I have the nicest, most neighbourly ever next door neighbours, Buck and Lynn. We only moved in a month and half ago, and Buck and Lynn have been very welcoming- great neighbours make a huge difference in how you feel about your home. So, SAM (Swarnabhoomi Academy of Music) booked British Airways for my flights to and from India. I have a six hour layover in London (probably a bit shorter now because of our late take-off) and I was trying to figure out if I could hang out in the BA lounge at Heathrow. (I heard rumours of free wi-fi and comfy chairs.... plus I'm travelling alone and would maybe be able to sleep more soundly.... in said chairs.) It just so happens that Lynn actually used to work for British Airways so I asked her how one might go about "getting in". She went above and beyond by phoning her friends at Toronto Pearson who ended up being able to upgrade my flight to from World Traveller (economy) to World Traveller Plus with access to the fancy schmancy BA lounge in Toronto Pearson.


Did you know they have free food in there??? AND free wi-fi?!? Comfy chairs!! There were even fancy washrooms!


Unfortunately I was only in the fancy schmancy lounge for about 15 minutes before it was time to board, but it was a fun 15 minutes- a taste of what an airport lounge is like! As for the plane trip itself, the World Traveller Plus seats are bigger and have tons of leg room too. So I owe Buck and Lynn a few snow shovellings this winter, to say the least.


When I arrive at London Heathrow it will be around 7am UK time, but 2am according to my body clock. My connecting flight to Chennai leaves at 1pm. Not sure what to do during the layover, but I bought "The Life of Pi" at Pearson which I've wanted to read for a long time. Then, it's a 10 hour flight from London to Chennai. It will be 3:30am on Saturday upon arrival in Chennai. Someone from the school will be holding up a name placard- amongst a sea of faces, probably- and then it's a 2 hour drive down the south east coast of India to the campus area. Where I will fall into bed.


Actually, we're not going to the campus straight away. Apparently there is a huge HIndu festival taking place at Swarnabhoomi this weekend and the place will be swarming with 100,000 people, so SAM is putting the faculty up in what looks to be an absolutely gorgeous beach resort nearby. It will be a great way to relax and recover from the long flight!


More to come soon.


Listening List:


Stars "Set Yourself On Fire"

Joanna Newsom "The Milk-Eyed Mender"

The Killers "Hot Fuss"


No comments:

Post a Comment